The ClaudicatioNet foundation is a Dutch, nationwide network of specialized physiotherapists providing supervised exercise therapy and lifestyle counselling for patients with peripheral artery disease (PAD). ClaudicatioNet was founded in 2011 with the aim of making high-quality physiotherapeutic treatment available to all PAD patients in the Netherlands. Since the founding, it has grown into an open network with national coverage (over 2100 associated physiotherapists), where quality and transparency are highly valued. ClaudicatioNet focuses, among other things, on:
- creating a culture of learning and development through the organization of training, conferences, and regional networks;
- dissemination of the latest insights through the website and social media;
- providing a clear overview of specialized therapists and facilitating referral by means of a web based ‘care finder’ and ‘digital referral’ application;
- communication with referring specialists (mainly general practitioners and vascular surgeons) through standardized digital feedback letters;
- transparency by displaying and analyzing results in the digital ClaudicatioNet Quality System.
Furthermore, ClaudicatioNet collaborates with stakeholders nationwide to preserve and continuously improve the (organization of) conservative treatment of PAD. A crucial achievement has been the reimbursement through basic insurance since January 2017. Subsequently, every Dutch PAD patient now has access to high quality exercise therapy given by a ClaudicatioNet physiotherapist..